Discussions related to Visual Prolog
daveplummermd
VIP Member

Install under Dropbox...or not

Unread post by daveplummermd »

Guys

I am installing VP 7.5 commercial edition. I want to work on projects from two machines and have that work synchronized. I use dropbox for synchronizing. Here's my question:

Should I install VP on both machines, allowing all the default locations, keeping only my project files within the dropbox umbrella,

Or, should I install VIP into one of the sub folders of my dropbox requiring only one installation of VIP?

I do not know what installation does to the local machine windows registry that the second choice my no have access to

Thanks in advance

Dave Plummer M.D
Dave Plummer
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

Visual Prolog doesn't really care about where it is installed, so both solutions are fine.

You will however need to activate the license on both computers.

If you don't make a real installation you will however not get "short cuts". You will also have to invoke Help -> Restore File Associations to bind prolog files to the IDE (and get correct icons in the file explorer).

As I see it you have no benefits (and a few obstacles) from having Visual Prolog in the dropbox.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Jan de Lint
VIP Member

Unread post by Jan de Lint »

I have vip 7.5 projects in dropbox directories on both my desktop and my laptop..
This works very well, but it is not advisable to have the same project open on both PCs at the same time.
Also, if you switch from one PC to the other you must wait sufficient time for dropbox to ripple through the latest updates. Otherwise things can become very confusing :shock:
]an