Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Tonton Luc
VIP Member

Unread post by Tonton Luc »

Please, find my VP 7.2 sample project enclosed.
See readme.txt file in the Exe folder.
Attachments
Test_lib_cURL.zip
(127.64 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
Jan de Lint
VIP Member

Re:

Unread post by Jan de Lint »

Tonton Luc wrote:Please, find my VP 7.2 sample project enclosed.
See readme.txt file in the Exe folder.
I will have a look.
I will also try and send you a private message. Perhaps PDC could help since private messaging is disabled on this forum?
]an
Jan de Lint
VIP Member

I converted a bit to 7.4 so that the exe would be built.
Without the dlls from the above zip I got as far as you with the same error messages.
Then I unpacked the zip into the exedirectory.
The application remains silent when started. I get no longer error messages. No complaints about dlls any more.
As I recall you would have to convert a little bit more to get it working in 7.4.
Perhaps you could use the student edition 7.4 for this if PDC permits?
Regards,
]an
Attachments
Knipsel.JPG
Knipsel.JPG (21.32 KiB) Viewed 10398 times
Tonton Luc
VIP Member

Hi,

Sorry but it's very unclear for me :

You said :
Without the dlls from the above zip I got as far as you with the same error messages.
which zip ? mine or cURL zip ?

When you said :
Then I unpacked the zip into the exedirectory
do you mean cURL zip ?

As I understand, cURL dlls 32 bits + VP7.2 Runtime dlls 32 bits cannot works on Windows Seven 64 bits, no ?
Jan de Lint
VIP Member

Tonton,
1. Chances are low that it will work in 7.2 and Windows 7 (32 or 64 bits)
2. The zip I meant is zip of 32 bit dlls as mentioned above.
Sorry about that,
]an
Tonton Luc
VIP Member

Hi Jan,

I recompile my project with VP 7.3 + your Zip cURL dlls mentionned above and all work fine now.
I really don't understand the reason.
Thanks for your help (and your patience).
:-)
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

I must admit that I have not read all the details of your mails :-), so you may have answered this question already.

Why don't you supply the 32 bit solution to everybody?

32 bit programs run just as well on 64 bit operating systems as on 32 bit operating systems.

The dual world on 64 bit operating systems can give some problems, but the dual world problematic exists for both 64 bit programs and 32 bit programs, and in many cases the 32 bit programs have fewest problems because the majority of programs are still 32 bit.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Jan de Lint
VIP Member

Tonton :D
Hello Thomas,
It is not a matter of 32 or 64 bits as far as I'm concerned. I think Tonton brought up the topic but he will by now agree...
Various things came up during the discussion which supposedly could have caused Tonton's problem.
We still are not sure what it was.
I have made available a set of dlls which I use myself through a dropbox link (see above). I couldn't do this before since the capacity of this forum for attached files is too low.
I had to change a few minor things in VPcurl going from 7.2 to 7.4 so I can in principle only help users of 7.4. Tonton is still on 7.2 (7.3?) so that was my main concern.
]an
Tonton Luc
VIP Member

Hi Thomas (and Jan),

Sorry but I don't understand your question (all this cURL "storry" is very very unclear for me).

Step 1 : Initially, I had a VP 7.2 application + cURL dlls (32 bits I suppose) that works correctly with XP 32 bits.

Step 2 : when I tested the same application (with the same cURL dlls) with Windows7 64 bits => it doesn't works.

Step 3 : I recompile my VP 7.2 project with VP 7.3 (in my old XP machine) and I change the cURL dlls => and my new VP 7.3 application works fine with Windows7 64 bits and with XP 32 bits.

I'm going to opt for this new solution even if I don't understand why VP 7.2 32 bits requires different cURL dlls than VP 7.3 32 bits.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

OK, I think I might have misunderstood the problem (I guess I should have read all the mails in details ;-)).
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC