Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

VIP 7.5 Exception on closing projects

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

This has suddenly started happening: when closing a VIP 7.5 project I get two exception dialogs appearing over the VIP IDE project selection dialog. One dialog overlies the other and both have the same information:

This indicates that a notify change request has been completed due to closing the handle which made the notify change request.

This happens with a newly created minimal GUI project as well as with existing projects.
A reboot does not correct the problem.
VIP 7.5 will build and create projects normally--the only problem seems to be on closing a project.
VIP 802 behaves normally.

I have attached the full exception dump.
Attachments
ExceptionDump 2018-06-15.txt
Exception dump file
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Re: VIP 7.5 Exception on closing projects

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

The exception comes from the thread that watches directory changes. Directory changes are watched to see if files change on disk and should therefore have changed read-only status and/or be reloaded.

This is mainly interesting if you work with a version control system, or something like that which may make such out-of-ide changes.

I was not aware of that specific error code. But tt seems that we should just ignore it, as it merely tells us that an operation which we have asked to stop is stopped. I cannot say why you suddenly get it, it must be the result of some timing stuff. Anyways, nothing is broken as result of that exception.

Directory watching has changed from Vip7 to Vip8, so I would in any case expect different timing behavior.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

I tried disabling a variety of programs that monitor directories (CCleaner, GoogleDriveSync, One-Drive, SyncBack) and that didn't help.

Since I'm only using 7.5 for maintenance and migration to 8.02 it's not a significant issue. Version 8.x is much more refined and automatic code formatting is a real time-saver!
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

It does not have anything to do with other programs that monitor directories, it is the directory watching internally in the IDE. So I think you should just enable those programs again (if you like them, of course :wink:).
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

I thought one of them might be affecting the timing of the IDE directory monitoring so I tried temporarily disabling them. Thanks for the tip on the nature of the problem -- I won't need to look elsewhere.