Discussions related to Visual Prolog
codewarrior

Process looping in VIP kernal runtime

Unread post by codewarrior »

Part of our processing engine is compiled with VIP 7.4. Since we changed the project to compile as 64-bit we are now experiencing an issue with the running process randomly hanging, or at least it appears that way.

In reviewing the process with Process Explorer we can see that it is still executing, but appears to be stuck in a loop with the VIP kernel and the CPU usage of the one task increases from it's normal 5 to 10% to an average 25%. All other threads within the same process go to "not responding" due to lack of cpu cycles.

Following is a sample of the run stack from Process Explorer at the time it's "hung".

ntdll.dll!memmove+0x25e
ntdll.dll!RtlUnwindEx+0xef
KERNEL32.dll!RtlUnwindEx+0x1e
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0xd452
ntdll.dll!RtlDecodePointer+0xad
ntdll.dll!RtlUnwindEx+0xbbf
ntdll.dll!KiUserExceptionDispatcher+0x2e
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0xd6a1
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0xb28b
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0x5e68
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0x8f20
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0x90c1
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0x1d20
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0x2582
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0x275d
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0x2b2c
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0x308
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0x404
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::allocastack+0x5bf
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::AllocAtomicHeapWithContext+0x80
vip7kernel.x64.dll!VIP::Kernel::CopyBinaryToHeap+0x24
rmbintf.dll+0x5b3e06
rmbintf.dll+0x5b3e17
rmbintf.dll+0x5b3d6b
rmbintf.dll+0x587e77
[Native Frame: IL Method without Metadata]
[Managed to Unmanaged Transition]
McKesson.PCON.Prolog.dll!McKesson.PCON.Prolog.clsRmbIntf.PdsModel+0xa7
. . .

We can see the stack changing above the AllocAtomicHeapWithContext procedure, so it is still executing, but never seems to return from it regardless of how fast I refresh the stack display.

Search our code for calls to CopyBinaryToHeap or AllocAtomicHeapWithContext, but could only find one or two references in the PFC compiled code (memory.pro). So we are guessing it has something to do with memory management. But, unfortunately that's used generally across the entire code. And because the run stack doesn't show any procedure names (only memory address) below the CopyBinaryToHeap, it's difficult to tell where in our code it's being executed. Although the memory addresses listed in the stack below the CopyBinaryToHeap are always the same.

The curious thing is that it's only happening when it's compiled as 64-bit. Take the exact same code, compile and run as 32-bit, it doesn't exhibit the issue.

Also tried running the code interactively in the debugger. While it does still "hang" as when it's running normally, I was hoping the debugger might give me a better idea as to where in the code it is currently executing. But, when it's "hung" and able to click the Break Program toolbar button (doesn't always break when clicked) it displays a disassembly view, which doesn't help very much.

Also tried this compiling with VIP 7.5, but still same issue.

Has this been previously reported and/or can someone give me some guidance on what types of functions/predicates/procedures to research in our code, so that I can determine what/where the problem is?

Regards.
Martin Meyer
VIP Member

Unread post by Martin Meyer »

Hi warrior,

there is a known problem in the memoryAccessor class, which is used in arrayM. It could be connected to your hanging issue.

Are you using arrayM? Check your calls to arrayM get/set methods with the debugger whether they return properly and get delivers correct results.

Regards
Martin
codewarrior

Hi Martin,

Checked for both memoryAccessor and arrayM classes.

While I do see them in the PFC folders via Windows Explorer, there are no references to either in the project. They are not included in the project configuration.

Also, forgot to note in original post, we were able to replicate the issue with builds 7402, 7403 and 7502 (VIP 7.5).

Regards,
Richard
Martin Meyer
VIP Member

Hmm.. then I can give only general advise to narrow down the code position of the problem:

Set breakpoints in the debugger and check, if it reaches them or whether it's getting stuck before reaching. Or temporary insert calls into the code in the manner stdIO::write("reached point xy\n") at suspicious positions and then look at the generated outputs in the Messages window.

Regards
Martin
codewarrior

We were finally able to scale down our project to a sample one that still produces the issue we're having with minimal code in the prolog project. Unfortunately, I can't attach it to the post ( 17MB > 256KB max).

Regards,
Richard
Martin Meyer
VIP Member

Delete all Deb-, Exe-, and Obj-directories (the compiler can re-generate them). Zip the remaining files to an archive. Usually the file size will be small enough then.

Regards
Martin