Discussions related to Visual Prolog
David Snook

Minor issue with dialogs

Unread post by David Snook »

I've noticed some minor but rather annoying issues primarily with dialogs. Most times when I need to edit a dialog or even just open one the Execute command won't run. If I minimize the VP window and restore it again I can run the Execute command but often I will receive a message indicating the dialog has been modified outside the IDE and the options are "Reload" or "Ignore". One way or another I always have to "Rebuild All". This has also happened with toolbars and editing the Taskwindow menu.

If a listener is removed from a dialog event handler it often requires "Rebuild All" twice. Even though I can see that the listener is removed from the generatedInitialize clause it seems to think it's still there during the first rebuild.

I know that certain events trigger the system to compile and at times I go right in and start editing a dialog or other before I realize it's compiling. I suspect but am not sure this may be the cause or part of it.

I wasn't sure if I should post these issues here or send them as a bug report? Let me know on this.

Best regards,

David Snook
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

Hi, David.

I can recognize some of the problems you describe, but I thought we had solved them.

Have you upgraded to build 7401?

In any case we will look at the problems.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
David Snook

Hi Thomas,

Yes I'm using version 7401. The problem doesn't happen every time but almost.

There's also a minor problem with the properties editor. If I open a form or dialog and click on the events tab of the property editor the top item is automatically selected but you can't scroll down the properties list unless you select an item further down the list then scroll until the selected item reaches the top. The other option is to resize the property editor so all properties are visible.

One last little item is with the editor. I can't yet identify why it happens but sometimes when I comment out a line using '%' everything below it or beyond the last '/* */' pair is grayed out as though it's all commented out although it's still recognized by the compiler and everything runs as expected. When this happens I just change the '%' to a '/* */' pair and it seems to be fine. I couldn't find any details about creating comment lines with the new editor and maybe using '%' as I have is not the intended method?

Just to add that aside from these minor issues I'm glad to be uptodate with the latest version.

Best regards,

David Snook
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Hi David. We will also look at these problems.

The problem with the editor is know, but unfortunately we don't know how to reproduce it. If you close and reopen the editor the problem always disappears. If you know how to reproduce it let us know.
PDC
David Snook

The editor problem is definitely an odd one. When I add a comment line I would likely notice that everything below it changes color so I'm sure it happens either when editing another file or item or compiling the program so I never actually see it happen.

I will keep wary and let you know if I discover how to reproduce it.

Regards,

David Snook
David Snook

Well, it happened again but I don't think this is going to help.

I noticed while scrolling down a file that everything past a certain comment line was grayed out. Interestingly I hadn't changed anything around that particular area of the file so I did "undo" until the text appeared normal. What seemed to cause it in this case was simply adding a space on one line of a clause further up the file. I did this to line up the text properly. Strangely, I have a comment line at each of several clauses after this and before the point that the text grays out so I can't offer any direct correlation.

I was able to get it to happen a couple of times but couldn't control when it happened. Again, there are several clauses between the point where the line is adjusted and where the text grays out that each have a comment using the '%'. The only difference is that where it does gray out the comment line follows a "/* */' pair. Code section below. The "update_notes():-" is the last text that appeared normal in the file.

/* sets current_notes based on note_selection */
update_notes():- %In New note mode (do nothing)

Regards,

David Snook
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Thank you, for the details.

I think, I have to solve the problem analytically (i.e. by looking at the code and use my head).
PDC
David Snook

Hi Thomas,

There's no need to respond to this but I have a little more to add that may help abit.

I had it happen again and this time all I did was comment out a few lines as below;

Code: Select all

/* line1...... line2 ...... line3 ...... */
It found the first '%' following this and grays everything out from that point. I tested putting a '%' at different places after the lines above and where-ever I put the '%' is where all text was grayed out from. If I put a '%' above the commented out lines it only grayed out the one line. I tried this in another file with no effect and when I came back to the original file it stopped doing it so that makes it all the more difficult.

There does seem to be a relationship with using '%' after a '/* */' pair and when this problem occurs.

Anyway, just thought I would pass this on.

Regards,

David
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Hi, David.

I have looked at the problem, and found and eliminated somthing that could be the cause. Since I don't know how to provoke the problem, I don't know if my change solves it. etc. etc.

If you like to test it out you should place the attached sciLexer.dll in $(ProDir)\bin (I suggest renaming the one that is already there, so you can restore it).

The attached sciLexer.dll also contains some string literal token coloring updates which are not relevant before we some day release Vip 7.5, but they are backwards compatible so it should not cause any problems for you.
Attachments
SciLexer.zip
sciLexer.dll (in zip)
(432.03 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
PDC
David Snook

Hi Thomas,

I've been using the new sciLexer.dll for 2 days now and so far so good. I think you solved it.

I also prefer the updated string literal coloring. :-)

Regards,

David Snook
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

That sounds good.
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Re: Minor issue with dialogs

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

David Snook wrote:I've noticed some minor but rather annoying issues primarily with dialogs. Most times when I need to edit a dialog or even just open one the Execute command won't run. If I minimize the VP window and restore it again I can run the Execute command but often I will receive a message indicating the dialog has been modified outside the IDE and the options are "Reload" or "Ignore". One way or another I always have to "Rebuild All". This has also happened with toolbars and editing the Taskwindow menu.
I have struggled with this annoyance and have found that if I disable Real-Time Scanning in McAfee Security Center this problem no longer occurs. Of course, I turn it back on when no longer using the IDE.

Altering the McAfee scanning "thoroughness" under Real-Time Scanning | Settings does not have any effect.

Harrison
David Snook

I haven't actually been editing forms or dialogs for awhile so had a quick look just now.

As you suggested I disabled the AV I'm currently using (Avast) but find it can still happen. In actuality it shouldn't happen in normal practice though. I discovered by random test that if you open a dialog, select a control, select the events tab of the property editor, click on an event then doubleclick the same event the "reload" message comes up. Normally one wouldn't do this but sometimes we're a little anxious or had a tad too much coffee and the fingers twitch abit :D.

One thing I see does still happen is that most of the time but not always, after editing the dialog there is no response from the "Execute" button (build 7501). Resizing the application window doesn't help but if you minimize it and maximize it again, it functions. I'm using Windows 7 Pro.

Regards,

David