Linux (Wine) and Visual Prolog

Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Gildas Menier
VIP Member

Linux (Wine) and Visual Prolog

Unread post by Gildas Menier » 24 Feb 2008 10:32

Has somebody, somehow, tried to run VP-made applications (or even the IDE) using Wine / Linux ?

http://www.winehq.org/

Regards

Gildas
Last edited by Gildas Menier on 2 Jun 2008 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Cerkez
VIP Member

Unread post by Paul Cerkez » 24 Feb 2008 21:05

Gildas,
I looked into doing it a few years ago for a project I was doing for work but there were simply too many environmental variables that had to be set (some that I had no clue what they were for) that I abandoned the attempt. I have some co-workers who were using Wine for some real-time work but it took them weeks to get it properly configured to support what they were doing. I simply didn't have the time to devote to researching and adjusting all the parameters and settings.

straight "out of the box" (default set up) it did not work for me and my VIP 5.x and 6.x projects. Haven't been back to it since and although I would like to, I don't have the time.

good luck. Who knows, over the past few years Wine may have evolved to be easier to configure and maybe it will work better with VIP7.x.

P.
AI Rules!
P.

Gildas Menier
VIP Member

Unread post by Gildas Menier » 2 Jun 2008 16:32

Hi everybody,

Some preliminary tests show that WINE can run Visual Prolog 7.10 programs straight out of the box (beware, the . directory is the home directory - NOT the install directory). I used the latest Ubuntu release. For instance the Genetic example runs without any problems.
Using multi threads seems ok (Have to test it further). Some of the pfc libs trigger a 'stack overflow' problem (and a crash) : for instance the imageControl. I suspect the gdiplus use is still something tricky for Wine (confirmed : the drawImage method is not supported by Wine).
Overall, for my first preliminary tests, it seems that the .exe perform surprisingly well (and fast).

I'll post some result/how to asap.

Regards

Gildas

(ps : seems that wine rc 1.0 has fixed many things, including the gdiplus issue)

Gildas Menier
VIP Member

Unread post by Gildas Menier » 10 Jun 2008 19:30

Some hints/advices to run Visual Prolog program in Linux (this advices suppose no tweaking of Wine).

- install the application in the home directory
- never run the application using the wine explorer window : use a script to cd to the install directory and launch your application with a

Code: Select all

wine yourexe.exe
- use Wine 1.0 RC 4 or >3. Not all MSCVRT access are supported but the main gdiplus functions seem to be supported.
- it is possible to use the IExplorer activex component (IE custom control) (instead of the gecko one) :
1. go to http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page and install ies4linux. Choose the IE6 component
2. check that you can launch the IE6 using the provided script
3. cd to your install directory and launch your exe with the following script :

Code: Select all

The IE component displays HTML and let you browse internet, but Java is not supported. The form extensions I provided in the lib are not supported neither. But as long as you stick to HTML display, it should be ok.
- multithread works ok/assert/consult as well. Dll are supported and most pfc classes seem to run ok. File input/output are ok. My socket extensions scs work ok. Curl is slow.
- I haven't tested the OpenGL extension for now.
- display is slow, but as long as the program doesn't use too much graphic animation, it seem to perform relatively fast (Wine is not a window emulation). Still have to test seriously how slower it is compared to windows.

Regards

Gildas

Apostol Asparuhov

Unread post by Apostol Asparuhov » 15 Oct 2009 12:53

Hi Gildas,

Did you managed to run IDE with WINE? I'm trying similar configuration as you.

Best regards,

Apostol