Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Paul Cerkez
VIP Member

Tic Tac Toe

Unread post by Paul Cerkez »

Quick question:
Does the Tic Tac Toe program Harrison Pratt wrote a couple of years ago require the CE version?

I keep getting a "e100 The file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Prolog 10 PE\pfc\basis\disposable\uncollectable\uncollectable.pack' is not found " error message and when I go looking for it, the .pack is not in the pfc folder.

I get no other information than "not found"

I am trying to use this program for an AI programming example for my AI students.
AI Rules!
P.
Paul Cerkez
VIP Member

Re: Tic Tac Toe

Never mind.

I did a "Remove All" for the missing package and it never requested to re-add it so guess it was not needed after all.

However, I did get another error related to fromOldFont(...) (incompatible - different domains)

I didn't have time to trouble shoot so I commented the specific line of code out and the application compiles and runs fine in PE version.
AI Rules!
P.
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

Paul,
What course are you using the Tic Tac Toe games in for students?

The original one is intended more as a demo of GDI+; the later one (TTT) is a tiny bit more "AI" but it's not a demo of an established AI algorithm. The is a small logic gap in the computer play response code that I haven't had time to address -- leave it as "an exercise for the students."

Vip10x compatible versions are posted under Visual Prolog Tips & Samples.
Paul Cerkez
VIP Member

Harrison,
The course is a Masters's level IS course on AI in general. It is an 8-week, compressed semester. I have the students doing a different "slice" of AI each week. As a matter of fact, next week is Neural Networks. :-)
Basically, the assignment was to modify the code to allow the computer to do the "O" entry. The Right Click option you have provides insight to the next choice. The students had to make the system make choices to not lose. Tic Tac Toe has very simple rules and I wanted them to incorporate the ability into the game (without them having to code the entire game from scratch.) I was going to send their solutions back to you in case you could have used them (your information stayed in the headers.)

Unfortunately, I had to drop using VIP because I have students who only have Macs. I switched the assignment to modify (add rules and facts) a CLIPS rule/fact base I provided in CLIPS. CLIPS has PC and iOS IDEs so all the students can do the same assignment.
I would have preferred to stay with VIP but ...
AI Rules!
P.
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

Thanks for the info -- it sounds like an interesting course. It's probably breaking the brains of a few students and probably you encounter a student or two who you feel are trying to do the same to you!

Cheers,
Harrison
Paul Cerkez
VIP Member

Yes, on both counts of breaking brains. :-)
AI Rules!
P.