Discussions related to Visual Prolog
daveplummermd
VIP Member

Example for removeAllBy

Unread post by daveplummermd »

Folks, could anyone provide an example of how to use "removeAllBy". There is no such example in the programs provided under examples and I don't understand the arguments that need to be included.

Thanks in advance
Dave Plummer MD
Dave Plummer
Gukalov
VIP Member

Re: Example for removeAllBy

Unread post by Gukalov »

Code: Select all

implement main     open core   clauses     run() :-         X = "abc",         List = [ "ABC", "aBc", "cba", "abc", "AbC", "abC" ],         L = list::removeAllBy(string::compareIgnoreCase, List, X), %        L = list::removeAllEq({(A, B) :- equal = string::compareIgnoreCase(A,B)}, List, X), %        L = list::filter(List, {(A) :- equal <> string::compareIgnoreCase(A,X)}),         console::write(L),         _ = console::readLine().   end implement main   goal     console::runUtf8(main::run).
daveplummermd
VIP Member

Thank you for the example.
There is some stuff here I don't understand but I'll work through it using debug to learn.
Again, thanks for your reply.
Dave Plummer
daveplummermd
VIP Member

Gukalov

is it possible to do this same thing with different domains?
For example if x=1 and List=[1,2,3] in your example? What is the comparator to be used?

X=1, List=[1,2,3], L = list::removeAllBy(somecomparitor, List, X),
dave
Dave Plummer
Gukalov
VIP Member

Unread post by Gukalov »

class predicates     somecomparItor : core::comparator{PofigChyo}. % define your own domain here instead of "PofigChyo" clauses     somecomparItor(A, B) = less :- A < B, !. % define your own "less" here instead of "A < B,".     somecomparItor(A, B) = greater :- A > B, !. % define your own "greater" here instead of "A > B,".     somecomparItor(_, _) = equal.

I think that using list::removeAllBy is not the best way to clean the lists.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

The predicate removeAllBy is used when you want to supply your own comparison routine.

For strings it could for example (as above) be a comparison that consider uppercase and lowercase letters the same.

But for numbers it would (almost always) be natural to use the normal number comparison.

clauses     run() :-         L1 = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5],         L2 = list::removeAllBy(compare, L1, 4),         stdio::writef("L2 = %\n", L2).
However, that is exactly what the predicate removeAll does:

clauses     run() :-         L1 = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5],         L2 = list::removeAll(L1, 4),         stdio::writef("L2 = %\n", L2).
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC