Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Find in Files, a little quirk

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

Replicate results in "Find in Files"
Replicate results in "Find in Files"
Snap_2018.11.12 08.58.59_001.png (27.8 KiB) Viewed 14644 times
"Find in Files" (Ctrl-Shift-F) displays "found" lines in Task Window twice, but other files search results are OK.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Re: Find in Files, a little quirk

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

We have not been able to reproduce this problem. I assume this is in the latest Vip 8?
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

I'm using VP Build 802.

The behavior seems somewhat inconsistent, but this is what I know for sure so far:
* It doesn't happen with all projects, but happens with more than one.
* I don't think it's related to 32 vs 64 bit projects.
* It happens when searching from the top of the project tree (the folder with the project name).
* It may be a sorting-related problem (rather than a finding-related issue) because display of double entries happens after I click the "File" column to sort the display results. Repeated sorting doesn't cause further proliferation of replicate entries.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Thank you, for the details. Unfortunately, it still didn't reproduce the problem here.
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Thanks for checking. I'll keep an eye on it.
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

The quirky projects are two that I created using VP 7 and later copied to my VP 8 development tree and continued development there. How does Find in Files populate the search list?

This quirk, of course, is at the most trivial level of all quirks. :wink:
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

You may check the project file with a text editor, and investigate whether the file is mentioned twice (maybe with different casing, or using some kind of different path).
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

The vipprj files in the two projects do not have replicate entries.

I backed up both projects and tried deleting the TaskWindow package using the IDE. I got a message "It isn't allowed to delete the task window resource from the project." Despite the message, it deleted all the resources in the TaskWindow package ... surprise! :o

All the files were still there so it was simple to add the package and various resource files (.bmp, .ico, .menu, .tb, .win etc.) back into the project. That fixed the duplicate search issue with one project. With the other project I am having an issue reconciling id_mnu_taskmenu and id_taskmenu so I reverted to the backup until I sort that out.

As the saying goes, the trip wasn't worth the candle since duplicate search results weren't causing actual production problems. Despite this trivial quirk, the IDE guided me gracefully through both VP7 to VP8 project migrations without having to recreate entirely new projects in VP8. :D