Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

VIP 8 PE IDE MDI Window commands

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

Is there any plan to add the MDI Window menu commands that existed in the IDE menu bar of previous versions?

Window
  • Cascade
    Horizontal tile
    Vertical tile
    Arrange icons
I use those frequently in 7.5. They are very handy when working with multiple files.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Re: VIP 8 PE IDE MDI Window commands

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

No, such plans do not exist.

Vip 8 has shifted from a traditional MDI layout management to a "workspace" layout management.
  • The windows snaps into a grid (the grid is invisible and quite fine grained)
  • They will not be able to move outside the work area (so the task/application window will not have scroll bars)
  • They will retain their position when closed and reopened
  • They will retain their relative size/position when the task/application window is resized
  • They cannot be maximized or minimized
The purpose of all this is that you arrange your windows in a layout that is suitable for you, and then use that layout "always".

The IDE keeps track of two different layouts
  • one for non-debugging and
  • one for debugging (where you work with an additional set of windows that will also have to fit into they layout)
I believe the idea works best for those people that enjoy working with a "single" editor window (Window -> Lock All Editor Windows together). I work like that and then I have Notepad++ (and TextPad) bound as Tools (Tools -> Configure Tools...) so that I can also open files in an external "floating" editor window.

Notepad++ should be configured with these attributes: $(file) -n$(line) -c$(column)
TextPad with these: $(file)($(line),$(column))

Anyways, the "workspace" idea is in conflict with dramatic rearrange actions like cascading, etc. Therefore there are no plans of reintroducing those operations.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

Good answer! The new IDE uses "the principle of least astonishment!" :-)

That really is easier to use than the old MDI approach.

On my VP 8 CE installation scroll bars actually do appear if I slide any window beyond the edge of the IDE window. Then if I do even a tiny resize of the IDE all the editor windows stack. That's not a problem, it's just a little different than you described. Of course, Ctrl-Tab enables one to quickly cycle through the stacked windows.

Dragging an editor window to the bottom of the IDE will minimize it --cool!

That's a good tip on the Notepad++ Tool setting -- that's what I've been using.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

In general windows should be "cut" into size when you release the mouse button after a move. But it seems that for example the "Find and Replace" dialog is not handled properly. Perhaps yo have discovered some other window that is not handled properly.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC