Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Martin Meyer
VIP Member

Problem with Comparing Trees

Unread post by Martin Meyer »

Hello Thomas,

please have a look at this construction. It throws error c504: The expression has type 'syntaxDomains::tree{@Type}', which is incompatible with the type 'syntaxDomains::tree{::unsigned}' in (VIP 7502):

Code: Select all

interface syntaxDomains{@Type}     domains         tree = tree(subTree* SubTreeList).         subTree =             leaf(@Type Value);             branch(tree Tree). end interface syntaxDomains     implement main     open syntaxDomains{unsigned}       clauses         run() :-             Tree1 = tree([]),             Tree2 = tree([]),             _Result = toBoolean(Tree1 = Tree2).  %the error is here end implement main
But the code compiles when replacing Tree1 = Tree2 by Tree1 <> Tree2.

Regards
Martin
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

We will look at it.

It is a bug, but on the other hand I will advise you to use explicit type parameters in domains instead:

interface syntaxDomains   domains     tree{T} = tree(subTree{T}* SubTreeList).     subTree{T} =         leaf(T Value);         branch(tree{T} Tree).   end interface syntaxDomains   implement main     open syntaxDomains   clauses     run() :-         Tree1 = tree([]),         Tree2 = tree([]),         _Result = toBoolean(Tree1 = Tree2).   end implement main
I assume that your interface is not only parameterized because of these domains, so in a more realistic set up you can do like this:

interface syntaxDomains{@Type}   domains     tree{T} = tree(subTree{T}* SubTreeList).     subTree{T} =         leaf(T Value);         branch(tree{T} Tree).   domains     treeT = tree{@Type}.     predicates     p : (treeT Tree).     q : (tree{@Type} Tree).   end interface syntaxDomains
p and q has the same type.

The main thing is that the recursive domains does not reference the type parameter of the scope (i.e. @Type), but only uses local type parameters.

The non-recursive treeT domain can reference @Type without problems.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Martin Meyer
VIP Member

Thank you Thomas!

I've changed my 'real' code in the way you advised, now it's working.

Best regards
Martin
Martin Meyer
VIP Member

Re: Problem with Comparing Trees

Hello Thomas,

I am bringing this issue back to the top because it (still or again) needs a treatment (in build 902).
Regards Martin
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Re: Problem with Comparing Trees

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

Thank you, we will look at it.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC