Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Peter Muraya
VIP Member

Opening an XML document from the IDE

Unread post by Peter Muraya »

Hi,
I have associated an .xml document with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, so that when I open it in Windows explorer it uses that editor. I added the same document to my Prolog project and in an earlier version, 7.4, got this desired behavior, but now it opens it using the Notepad. I'm not sure if there there is some settings I have changed inadvertently or if this is the intended behavior for this version 7.5. What should I do to force Prolog to open the file from the IDE using Studio 2010 (or any other editor for that matter)?
Mutall Data Management Technical Support
Peter Muraya
VIP Member

Unread post by Peter Muraya »

Hi,
I was wrong, even version 7.4 did not do it properly.

I have found a way round this, but first let me explain why it is a big deal for my project which I run in two modes: debug and production.

In debug mode, the project generates a huge XML document (over 10,000 lines) which I need to study. So proper formatting and collapsing of XML tags is paramount in following the results. The notepad does none of these; Microsoft Visual Studio has the desired features.

My solution is to remove the output document from the IDE tree, open it directly using Windows explorer and leave it open during the debugging session. When I generate a new document, I simply switch focus to the document window; happily it senses that there have been changes and asks me if I want to update it or not. I say Yes. And that is it.
Mutall Data Management Technical Support