Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Audun Tönnesen

Graph database

Unread post by Audun Tönnesen »

There is an open source graph database called Neo4j, running on the JRE, and with an unattrractive traversal-language.
The idea of a graph database is attractive, though.
It seems very tempting to use the VIP External Database for this purpose. It even has transaction support, so it seems a safe and robust alternative. Or...???
The last time I wrote a conventional database-application, I was recommended to use a 'pro' DBMS instead of the External Database. I think that was a good advice - the app has been running for years now on MS SQL-Server without a problem.
So - a rethorical question: should I trust the VIP External Database to implement a robust, production-safe graphical database app? It's tempting to just simply insert Prolog terms directly.
The alternative would be to somehow connect to the Neo4j-system by means of a complex extra layer of software.

The summary of this is about the External Database: its robustness, safety, expecting the app to run for years without becoming corrupt or break down.
Regards,
Audun.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

We never recommend using the external database for persistent storage; you should only use it as a "work" database.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC