Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

VIP 904 freezes system

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

Several scenarios freeze the IDE & system

(1) Run Optimal Set of Include Directives on several different packages, or
(2) Open an existing project from the current project

Symptoms: The IDE becomes pale in appearance, an hour glass cursor appears only over the IDE, cannot access Task Manager from the task bar or with Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Have to shut down and restart using the power switch because all usual techniques don't respond.

Changing projects is very slow ... before the freeze occurs.

Task Manager doesn't show unusual activity, probably because it is frozen.

Did "Repair" reinstallation of 904, ran virus scan (Webroot) and rebooted -- no improvement.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Re: VIP 904 freezes system

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

We have not been able to reproduce these problems.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

In Task Manager I noticed multiple instances of Cortana in suspended state so I ended the tasks and let Cortana restart. 904 behaves more smoothly now but I don't know if doing that is cure or coincidence.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

I would be very careful about killing processes, many programs run as several processes. If you start a Chrome browser numerous processes will start, if you close all browsers again all the processes disappear. With that many processes most of them will be blocked/waiting most of the time.

Instead I will recommend rebooting the computer if it behaves badly, or just to be certain that some problems are not actually caused by something completely different.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Good advice. The only time I ever do that is to restart Cortana when the Windows Explorer search function stops working.
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

I just noticed this morning that there was a Microsoft Last failed install attempt of a Windows "Quality Update" the same day I was having this problem.