Discussions related to Visual Prolog
tucsonjhall

A Rocky Start trying Visual Prolog: noWindow_exception

Unread post by tucsonjhall »

Just installed Visual Prolog to give it a try but can't actually open it without getting the following message (attached as pic). Any suggestions or does it simply not run on certain machines. Windows 10, 32 GB RAM. Nothing else particularly customized.

Apparently the JPG isn't uploading but it says noWindow_exception

This is upon first opening the program.

Since I can't upload the JPG, here's a link to the file in Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmqbc84m33ec4 ... r.jpg?dl=0

Thanks
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

I could upload the image, so you can remove it from your dropbox again.

It normally runs on all machines. So there must be something special in your case, but I can't see what it should be.

By the way, you say you computer is running Windows 10, but the computer says it is running Windows 8.
Attachments
error
error
error.jpg (128.97 KiB) Viewed 6072 times
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
tucsonjhall

Thanks much for uploading the pic. The Windows 8 report out of OS info is interesting but it's definitely running Windows 10 64-bit (the GUIs look just a little different ;-) on a custom machine built a couple months ago. Going to properties of This PC the Windows edition is listed as Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Kind of interesting. I'll have to do a little investigation now that you've made me curious. Thanks.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

As I understand it this problem happens immediately after you try to start Visual Prolog and you get the error dialog before any other windows has appeared.

From the stack trace I can see that the program attempts to create a dialog or a form, the window that is used as parent is however not yet created. I assume that the non-existing "parent" is indeed the main window of the IDE. This also fits with the kind of error dialog you get, because this kind of error dialog only appears before the main window has been created.

Unfortunately, that gives me very few clues to what the problem may be. The program has been started numerous times and we have not heard about that problem before. I am not aware of any situation where a dialog/form should be created before the main window is created.

So I am left rather "blank" and (I am not happy with this but) my best suggestion is to go through a normal "stupid" the-problem-is-somewhere-else sequence:
  • Rebot the computer (and try again)
  • Uninstall and reinstall the program from a fresh download (and try again)
  • Try running the program as administrator
  • Consider whether the anti-virus program can be switched of just once (I assume you have downloaded the installation from our site: the installation is digitally signed by "Prolog Development Center A/S").
PDC
tucsonjhall

I appreciate your taking of time to respond. I had tried all except Run as Administrator. No love there either. Oh well, SWI Prolog can probably do what I need. BTW, the main window does appear AFTER the stack trace dialog box but the only option in the File menu is Open and if I try to open a sample file, same dialog box. Just a data point for you in case it happens again in the future.

Thanks
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Thank you for the information. I am sorry that it doesn't work, that is absolutely not something we are used to.
PDC