Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Periodic automatic re-installation of VIP 7.5

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

From time to time, about weekly, when I try to open VIP 7.5 CE it starts a new/repair/update (?) installation process. It is annoying because it significantly delays opening the IDE and if I get too anxious and try to open the IDE by clicking on the desktop icon before the installation is completed then I get a dialog advising me to wait for the FIRST installation to be completed before starting another installation!

Do I have some setting wrong in my installation? I don't think that PDC is updating VIP that often.
Attachments
Double installation conflict dialog.
Double installation conflict dialog.
VIP Installer 001.jpg (28.77 KiB) Viewed 16022 times
Typical installation dialog.
Typical installation dialog.
VIP Installer 002.jpg (13.46 KiB) Viewed 16022 times
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

Visual Prolog is not update automatically.

What you experience must be a Windows problem. I don't know what makes it happen, but I have experienced it for some other programs.

Wild guess: uninstallation + boot + reinstallation could help.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Hmmm ... the Start Menu shortcut points to the VIP directory. If I make a short cut directly to VIP.EXE the IDE launches much faster. I haven't yet traced out what happens when launching from the Start Menu shortcut (or a copy of that shortcut placed on the desktop). It seems like it might be an installation configuration issue. (Win XP SP3). Perhaps it's trying to re-install the Examples. I'll try to puzzle it out.

Meanwhile, the direct link seems (so far) to solve the problem.
Attachments
VIP Installer 003.jpg
VIP Installer 003.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 15992 times
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Re:

Thanks for the info on auto-updating.

From Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs I did a Repair of the VIP 7.501 installation and the problem seems to be fixed.

Harrison

Thomas Linder Puls wrote:Visual Prolog is not update automatically.

What you experience must be a Windows problem. I don't know what makes it happen, but I have experienced it for some other programs.

Wild guess: uninstallation + boot + reinstallation could help.
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

This is still happening about weekly with a fresh install on a new Win10 PC with SSD.
I wonder if McAfee virus scan has something to do with it.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

The "net" seems to think this has to do with "auto-repair" and something called advertised short-cuts.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2060 ... -everytime
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2932 ... pplication
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3825 ... in-each-ti

I was not aware that such short-cuts existed or that our installer are creating such short cuts. But it seems you can solve the problem by deleting the short cut and create another one manually (or locate the exe and "pin" it to the start menu or task bar).
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Re:

I was not aware that such short-cuts existed or that our installer are creating such short cuts.
It was all new to me too, and since only VP was causing problems on WinXP or Win10 I wrongly thought it was unique to VP. A clue is that in both system the Target: field in the link Properties is a textual product description, not a fully-qualified file name (<DRIVE>:\<PATH>\<NAME.EXE>).
But it seems you can solve the problem by deleting the short cut and create another one manually (or locate the exe and "pin" it to the start menu or task bar).
I tried both of these approaches on WinXP and both worked. Now I can apply the same work around on Win10 with a clear conscience!

Thanks for your help,
Harrison
:-)

P.S. Description of the rationale for advertised shortcuts: http://www.symantec.com/connect/article ... -shortcuts