Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Jacques.Lauwerys

Help a beginner in VIP!

Unread post by Jacques.Lauwerys »

Hi,

I am learning VIP (Visual Prolog Environment 7.5 Commercial Edition) with the help of the book VisualPrologBeginners_7.2.pdf.
Reproducing the folowing example (Chapter 10 Recursion, list and sorting) :

Code: Select all

implement main     open core clauses     run() :-         console::init,        counter:: count(1),        _X=stdIO::readChar(). end implement main   goal     console::runUtf8(main::run).

class counter     open core   predicates count : (integer Number) procedure.   end class counter

implement counter     open core clauses count(Number) :-     Number<11,     stdIO::write(Number),     stdIO::nl,     NextNumber = Number+1,     count(NextNumber).   count(_) :-     stdIO :: write("C'est la fin !\n"), !. end implement counter
I have the following errors

Error message :
Type Action Description Filename Path
e631 The predicate 'counter::count/1 (i)', which is declared as 'procedure', is actually 'multi' Counter.pro

replacing "count(_)" with "count(11) in the second clause :
Type Action Description Filename Path
e631 The predicate 'counter::count/1 (i)', which is declared as 'procedure', is actually 'nondeterm' Counter.pro

I don't understand the reason why.

Thank you in advance for help.

Jacques
Kind regards.
Jacques (Individual)
B.Hooijenga
VIP Member

Unread post by B.Hooijenga »

Hello Jacques,

This should be the correct code I think.

implement main open core   clauses     run() :-         count(1),         _ = stdio::readChar().   class predicates     count : (integer Number) procedure.   clauses     count(Number) :-         Number < 11,         stdio::write(Number),         stdio::write("\n"),         NextNumber = Number+1,         count(NextNumber),         !.     count(_) :-         stdio::write("C'est la fin !\n"), !.   end implement main   goal     console::runUtf8(main::run).
Kind regards

Ben
Jacques.Lauwerys

Hello Ben,

Sorry, I tried it, but it does not solve the problem. I received the same error messages.
On the other hand, ( I am not sure because I can't test) the cut you introduce in te count(Number) clause, should it not have the effect of not running the count clause (11), which is not the intention.

Jacques
Kind regards.
Jacques (Individual)
B.Hooijenga
VIP Member

Unread post by B.Hooijenga »

Hello Jacques,

The cut has to be there for the following reason.

Without a cut predicate count()/1 has two possibilities:

count(Number)
and

count(_)
and is therefore multi.

With a cut the predicate count()/1 is a procedure which means there is only one solution.

If I may be so bold to make a remark:
In a recursive predicate the stop-condition is mostly written first. (with a cut!)

Your program looks then like this

clauses      count(11) :-         stdIO :: write("C'est la fin !\n"),         !.      count(Number) :-         stdIO::write(Number, "\n"),         count( Number+1).        
Kind regards

Ben.
Jacques.Lauwerys

Hello Ben,

Thank You so much for the suggestions.
For sure You may make remarks ! I am only learning to use the software.
In fact, both suggested solutions work !
I had made a mistake in trying to implement the first suggestion.

Again thank you for your advice.
Kind regards.
Jacques (Individual)