Discussions related to Visual Prolog
dominique f pannier

7.4 youthfull indiscretions ?

Unread post by dominique f pannier »

Hi,
Since a few monthes I'm using the IDE of VIP 7.401, it behaves randomly.Follows a list of the main unexpected behavior I sometimes encounter during migrating projects from 7.3 to 7.401. That are, may be, "youthfull indiscretions"...?

1) When modifying a dialog for instance in the IDE, after saving the IDE window and compiling the package, appears a window with the prompt :
"File PackageName/FileName.pro changed outside the IDE"
offering the choice Reload/ignore.
It's a wrong information, because I'coming from the IDE. If I choose ignore, all is right. If I choose Reload, it can happens that an object added in the IDE window is not written, after compiling, in the automatically maintained region of the implementation. Very strange... In that case, the only solution is to go back to the IDE, remove the object, and redesign it.

2) When adding in the IDE an editControl, it can happens that the height line of the properties is unreacheable : the height's value cannot be changed in its window.(Which is the normal case for a checkBoxControl, I suppose...). If I save in that state, the height-line of the editControl does not appear in the automatically maintained region of the implementation. In that case, the only solution is to go back to the IDE, remove the editControl, and design it again. Conversly, it happened that an object cut in the IDE keeps a method written into the automatically maintained region (onOKClick, if I right remember...).

3) When leaving the IDE after a modification, if I try to push directly the Compile Module button of the toolbar, it does not work. One must make a right click upon the pack file and select the compile package option. After that, the Compile Module button of the toolbar works normally.

I hope that in the next release, the IDE will recover it's perfection of 7.3. :D
Regards
Dominique Pannier
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

I know the first issue, and I can only hope that it is indeed solved in the next release (which is actually available if you press "Check for Updates...").

The next two issues are (previously) unknown to us and we have not been able to reproduce them either. So I would not expect any improvements for them. Can you provide info on how to reproduce them?
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
dominique f pannier

The second problem (heigth of an ediControl) occurs randomly, but frequently.
I created a new GUI project. I added a form in a new package. In that form, I designed an editControl : the heigth could be normally modified in the properties window. I closed it saving the modifications. After compiling, I reopended the IDE of the form. I designed a second editControl : this time, the heigth could not be modified in the properties window.
I destroyed the project and rebuild the same operations in a new one : this time the (second) editControl's heigth was modifiable in the properties window... I destroyed this editControl and redesigned another one : this time, impossible to modify the heigth. When saving and compiling, the setHeigth of this object is not present in the implementation.

Lke you see, I think you should easily successfully encounter this behavior of the IDE in that release. (I did not yet load the new one).

For the third problem, I come back. 8-)
Regards
Dominique Pannier
dominique f pannier

The third problem is not a problem. It comes from my imagination.
The compile module button needs a context information, in VIP7.3 like in VIP7.4 :idea: . Then when leaving the IDE, it's logical to select the package to be compiled.
Regards
Dominique Pannier
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

I still have Dominique's problem (1) and something very much like (3) in VIP 7.502 using WinXP. Sometimes the IDE seems to go to sleep for a while (and there's no compiling message on the status line). I use Copernic Desktop Search and McAfee antivirus, both of which are heavy users of virtual memory--suspending those applications temporarily seems to help relieve those two problems most of the time.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

Microsoft and we have stopped supporting XP.

Problem 1 has to do with receiving events about disk changes, it should have been solved but perhaps XP on what I assume is an old "slow" computer may give some timing issues that we have not considered (or perhaps some of the facilities simply don't work properly on XP).

I don't really understand what problem 3 is. Compiler module only works when the IDE can figure out which module to compile. Selecting a node in the project tree ensures that, having an editor active will inmost cases also work, but it requires that the IDE "knows" the file.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

McAfee doesn't play nicely with others. Disabling real-time virus checking on the development folder seems to cure these issues and improve the IDE's responsiveness. I'll be upgrading hardware very shortly.