Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Peter Muraya
VIP Member

string::concat vs string::write

Unread post by Peter Muraya »

Hi,
I often need to concatenate a number of strings, say, X,Y and Z. Which is the better practice than the other. And why?

Code: Select all

string::concat(X,Y,Z)
or

string::write(X,Y,Z)  
Mutall Data Management Technical Support
Ferenc Nagy
VIP Member

Unread post by Ferenc Nagy »

Peter,
string::write(X,Y,Z) works even if one of X, Y or Z is not string but a number.
The limit of count of X,Y,Z parameters is smaller than the allowed count of parameters for string::concat.
string::concat(X,Y,Z) works only for strings.
The result will be the same strange "eksvaluewayvaluezedvalue".
I do not recommend you any of the above.
I prefer
1) string::concatwithdelimiter([X,Y,Z]," ") which gives
"eksvalue wayvalue zedvalue".
2) string::format("X=%, Y=%, Z=%.",X,Y,Z).
3) If you add field widths and define monospace font for your output window then you get nice columns:

string::format("X=%-20.20s, Y=%-20.20s, Z=%-20.20s.",X,Y,Z).
TIA, Regards,
Frank Nagy
Peter Muraya
VIP Member

Thank you Frank. You have added 2 other options that I also use occasionally. Is there any memory-use/execution-speed advantage of any one over the others? Or are all they based on a similar internal coding model?
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

There is no significant performance difference between the two approaches.

Both these methods can however give a quite significant overhead if used extensively. The problem is that both these approaches will copy all the strings into a new string.

This simple program:

clauses     run() :-         N = 1000,         S = list1(N),         stdio::write(S).   class predicates     list1 : (unsigned N) -> string Tree. clauses     list1(0) = "0" :-         !.       list1(N) = T2 :-         T1 = list1(N-1),         T2 = string::format("%, %", T1, N).
It creates a string of the form "0, 1, 2, ..., 1000". But doing so it creates 1000 strings of increasing length each time copying to previous string into the new one. As result the algorithm is O(N^2).

The "right" way to do this is by using a stream instead of creating strings on the fly:

class predicates     list2 : (unsigned N) -> string Tree. clauses     list2(N) = S:getString() :-         S = outputStream_string::new(),         list2b(S, N).   class predicates     list2b : (outputStream S, unsigned N). clauses     list2b(S, 0) :-         !,         S:write("0").       list2b(S, N) :-         list2b(S, N - 1),         S:writef(", %", N).
To see that this really matters I have run the following little test:

clauses     run() :-         profileTime::init(),         foreach N in [100, 1000, 10000] do             C1 = convert(profileTime::costName, string::format("list1(%)", N)),             profileTime::start_pr(C1),             _S1 = list1(N),             profileTime::stop_pr(C1),             C2 = convert(profileTime::costName, string::format("list2(%)", N)),             profileTime::start_pr(C2),             _S2 = list2(N),             profileTime::stop_pr(C2)         end foreach,         profileTime::printAndReset().
Which gives results as shown in the image. I guess it is obvious that list1 have a problem compared to list2.
Attachments
profiling
profiling
listProfile.png (6.03 KiB) Viewed 10644 times
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Peter Muraya
VIP Member

Thomas,
Thanks. The message is that for intensive string work, of the following 5 string joining functions, the last one is better than all the others in terms of performance because it does not make and keep string copies. For less intensive work, the other alternatives may be much neater to use than the outputstream_str library. Is this a correct summary?

string::concat string::write string::format sting::concatWithDelimeter outputstream_str::write, writef
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

Yes, that sounds fine.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC