Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Ferenc Nagy
VIP Member

How can I open different help topics for each controls of a complicated form?

Unread post by Ferenc Nagy »

The dialog editor provides only one [Help] button for each form or dialog.
If I define a common help context identifier for the whole dialog then the user has to scroll up and down or issue a search from his/her browser.
I think the task would be simpler if each controls (or their container group boxes) had separate context identifier.

How can I determine in most simple way whether which control or group box is in focus when the user presses the [F1] key?
TIA, Regards,
Frank Nagy
Tonton Luc
VIP Member

Unread post by Tonton Luc »

Hi,

:idea:

Code: Select all

Hdl = vpi::winGetFocus(), CtlId =  vpi::winGetCtlId(Hdl),
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

I will suggest that you put tooltips on the individual controls, and only have overall help on the help button.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Ferenc Nagy
VIP Member

The tooltips must be set later

The following automatically generated command in the GeneratedInitialize() procedure of a form behave just like some property settings of a scilex control. They cause "single fact has no value" runtime error.

Code: Select all

load_but:toolTip := core::some(simple_tip), load_but:tooltipText := toolTip::tip("Load style set form external file."),

The workaround is the same
A) Move this lines in the onShow procedure.
B) Delete the tooltip definitions from the property sheets, and enter them manually.

The Developer Team's task:
C) Investigate the automatic program generation triggered by the property sheets and split the generated code between two procedures
1) generatedInitialize() and 2) generateOnShow.
:-( It is a work of Sisyphus because the many kinds of controls and their hundreds of properties.Image
TIA, Regards,
Frank Nagy
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

That could be a good idea.

Personally, I think there are far too many properties mentioned in the dialog editor. I only use the editor for the layout and (coordinates, docking/anchors and visit order) and a few of the event handlers. The rest I prefer to write by hand.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Paul Cerkez
VIP Member

Unread post by Paul Cerkez »

Ditto.
AI Rules!
P.
Ferenc Nagy
VIP Member

Tooltip is a good idea

Thank you. The tooltips can be collected later to a table using Word and included into the documentation.
TIA, Regards,
Frank Nagy