Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

VIP 11 (Build 1111) - modified PFC files

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

I am not sure what caused this, but on a small project the IDE went into a nearly endless loop of messages about adding files to PDC .ph and .pack files, followed by a large number of error messages about files already being included. When I tried to compile another project I got similar messages.

I did add a directory (using IDE variables) to the Include Directories in Project ... Settings. It is the same setting that I use in many other projects, so I don't think that's the problem.

Here's a sample file:

Code: Select all

% FILE: exception.PH   % publicly used packages #include @"pfc\programControl\programControl.ph" #include @"pfc\windowsApi\WinErrors\WinErrors.ph" #include @"pfc\windowsApi\multiThread_api\multiThread_api.ph" #include @"pfc\programControl\programControl.ph" #include @"pfc\programControl\programControl.ph" #include @"pfc\windowsApi\WinErrors\WinErrors.ph" #include @"pfc\presenter\presenter.ph" #include @"pfc\windowsApi\multiThread_api\multiThread_api.ph" #include @"pfc\programControl\programControl.ph" #include @"pfc\windowsApi\WinErrors\WinErrors.ph" #include @"pfc\windowsApi\multiThread_api\multiThread_api.ph" #include @"pfc\programControl\programControl.ph" #include @"pfc\windowsApi\WinErrors\WinErrors.ph" #include @"pfc\presenter\presenter.ph" #include @"pfc\programControl\programControl.ph" #include @"pfc\windowsApi\WinErrors\WinErrors.ph" #include @"pfc\presenter\presenter.ph"
I had to remove/reinstall VIP 11 to fix the problem.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Re: VIP 11 (Build 1111) - modified PFC files

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

It is a well known problem that the IDE sometimes (too often) inserts the same include statement several times. We are looking into the problem.

I do not think the uninstall + install was the reason the problem disappeared, closing and reopening the project and "Rebuild all" and then not answering "Yes All" will normally prevent the problem.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Harrison Pratt
VIP Member

Unread post by Harrison Pratt »

I did try closing the project and Rebuilding All with no success.

Is it normal for the IDE to modify files in the PFC directory?

Would creating a new minimal project help the IDE fix the files?
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

Sorry, I did not realize that it was PFC files that was updated.

I do know of a scenario that may lead to this problem. If for example the file presenter.cl is accidentally updated a gives a syntax error. Then the presenter class suddenly becomes "unknown" in a lot of other files. The IDE however remember that presenter can be found by including ...presenter.ph so it inserts an include statement.

But since there is syntax error that doesn't help, the class remains unknown. And unfortunately the IDE can go into and endless (idiotic) update-compile cycle.

I don't think you would update any of the PFC files deliberately, however we also from time to time experience some problems with ctrl+ keyboard short cuts: For example when pressing ctrl+shift+b (build) or ctrl+s (save) the letter 'b' and 's', respectively may (also) be inserted into the active editor.

I don't know how to reproduce the b/s keyboard problem (though I experience it periodically). It may be something with the timing in the keypresses (but that is just a guess).

Anyway, I hope you are past the problems and we will also look into it.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC