Discussions related to Visual Prolog
Peter Muraya
VIP Member

Parser generator invalid code

Unread post by Peter Muraya »

Code: Select all

productions        EXPRESSION =              /*              This expression without the cursor tracking generates valid code*/              /*EXPRESSION plus EXPRESSION -> plus(EXPRESSION, EXPRESSION),*/              /*              With the :CURSOR the generated invalid code*/              EXPRESSION plus:CURSOR EXPRESSION -> plus(EXPRESSION, CURSOR, EXPRESSION)              /*              Other arithmetic expressions come here*/              --              int(INTEGER) -> int(INTEGER),              real(REAL) -> real(REAL)
The generated clauses; the invalid part is highlighted.

clauses   s_expression(LL1,LL0,EXPRESSION):- s_expression1(LL1,LL0,EXPRESSION).     s_expression1(LL1,LL0,EXPRESSION_):-        s_expression2(LL1,LL2,EXPRESSION),        s_expression3(LL2,LL0,EXPRESSION,EXPRESSION_).     s_expression2([t(int(INTEGER),_)|LL],LL,int(INTEGER)):-!.   s_expression2([t(real(REAL),_)|LL],LL,real(REAL)):-!.   s_expression2(LL,_,_):-syntax_error("Expression2",LL),fail.     s_expression3([t(plus,CURSOR)|LL1],LL0,EXPRESSION,EXPRESSION_):-!,         s_expression2(LL1,LL2,EXPRESSION1),                s_expression3(LL2,LL0,plus(EXPRESSION,CURSOR,EXPRESSION1),EXPRESSION_)  ,CURSOR=EXPRESSION,EXPRESSION=CURSOR.               /*               The generator should not produce this additional bit ,CURSOR=EXPRESSION,EXPRESSION=CURSOR. in the previous line*/         s_expression3(LL,LL,EXPRESSION,EXPRESSION).            
Mutall Data Management Technical Support
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Unread post by Thomas Linder Puls »

I am afraid that I do not recall many details of that parser generator. And since Vip 7.5 (Commercial Edition) contains a brand new and much more professional parser generator (used in Visual Prolog compiler) we will not really spend resources on the old parser generator.

See LALR Parser Generator.
Regards Thomas Linder Puls
PDC
Peter Muraya
VIP Member

Thanks Thomas. Now I have 2 compelling reasons to upgrade to VP 7.5: the updated parser generator and the code re-factoring option that I badly need.
Peter Muraya
VIP Member

Hi,
I have now upgraded to VP 7.5 and had a brief look at the folder vpiLalrGen. Could you please point me to the documentation, if any, of a vpiGrm file?
Thanks
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

I am afraid that the only documentation is that in LALR Parser Generator.

(And the grammar file describing the grammar files themselves (but that is obviously "eats its own tail")).
PDC
Peter Muraya
VIP Member

Thanks.
I looked at the grammar in expressionGrm and found the following code that uses A,B as parse tree reference names.

nonterminals     exp : expression. rules     exp { mkBinOp(Op, A, B) } ==>         exp { A },         [t_cmp] { Op },         exp { B }.
Then I looked the LALR parser documentation and found this similar example but using a and b. Does the case matter?

exp { mkBinOp(Op, a, b) } ==>         exp { a },         [t_cmp] { Op },         exp { b }.
I am not sure how to handle the cursor -- the very reason I had problems with the old parser generator. I did not get much insights by looking at the grammarDef.vpiGrm -- yes the issue of "the dog trying to eat its own tail".In the old parser it was easy:

EXP = EXP t_comp:CURSOR EXP -> compare(EXP, CURSOR, EXP)
My intuition tells me that in the new parser it should be coded as:-

Exp{mkBinOP(Op,A,B, Cursor)} ==>Exp{A}, [t_comp]{Op}, ??{Cursor}, Exp{B}.
But I am not sure what to put in ??
Help.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Casing matters and the mentioned letters should should start with an upper-case (it is fixed now). Everything in braces are Visual Prolog terms (variables and expressions).

In the new parser you only have access to the cursor of an entire rule, which is in the predefined variable Cursor. Cursors consist of an start and an end point and it also contains comments.

I am going to write extend the article with more about cursor and comment handling, and about the use of the [error] symbol for error recovery.
PDC
Peter Muraya
VIP Member

Thanks. So, if I really wanted a cursor for the [t_comp] token I would need two rules. Correct?

Exp{mkBinOP(Op,A,B, MyCursor)} ==>Exp{A}, Comp{op(MyCursor, Op)}, Exp{B}. Comp{op(Cursor, Op)} ==> [t_comp]{Op}.
Thomas Linder Puls
VIP Member

Yes you will need two rules.

Your grammar rules are however not legal. First of all the nonterminal symbols must start with a lowercase letter. Secondly, you can only write variable names in the bodies of the rules:

nonterminals     exp : expression. rules     exp { mkBinOp(Comp, A, B) } ==>         exp { A },         comp {Comp }, % here you can only write a variable         exp { B }.   nonterminals     comp : tuple{cursor Cursor, string Operator}. rules     comp { tuple(Cursor, Operator) } :-         [t_comp] { Operator }.
Given this the predicate mkBinOp must be decalared like this:

predicates     mkBinOp : (tuple{cursor Cursor, string Operator}, expression A, expression B) -> expression A_op_B.
PDC
Peter Muraya
VIP Member

Many thanks.